Monday, December 5, 2011

Favorite Home Beauty Remedies



You're probably looking at the picture above and thinking, how in the world do those products relate to beauty? Well, I'm going to show you. The items shown above are several of the items in my kitchen cupboard (and they're probably lurking in your cabinets too). Not only are they cooking staples, but they're great beauty remedies as well.

1. Olive Oil
I use olive oil in several ways. I use it on my face when it's extremely dry and no moisturizer will cut it. I also use olive oil on my hair, and I sometimes even go as far as to use it on my entire body too.

On my face: I put a thin layer of olive oil on my face and let it sink in for 10-20 minutes. You'd be surprised as how fast your skin absorbs the oil. Then I use my daily cleanser to wash it off. I only really have to do this in the winter. My skin gets so dry and flaky that exfoliating and moisturizing usually aren't enough.
On my hair: I massage the olive oil into my scalp and also apply a generous amount to my ends as well. I put a shower cap over my hair and let the olive oil work it's magic for at least 20 minutes. Sometimes I'll even run my blowdryer over my whole head for added benefits. Then shampoo it all out (make sure you get it all out or it can cause your hair to look greasy) and condition as usual.
On my body: I apply the olive oil in the shower from head to toe and then wash it off with my usual body wash. It adds moisture to my skin.
*If your skin or hair is on the oily side, this might not be the best home remedy for you. I only tend to use the olive oil in the winter when my skin and my hair dry out. If I used it in the summer when my skin gets oily, I imagine I'd have a face full of pimples.  

2. Honey
Good ole honey straight out of the jar is great to use as a face mask. I usually apply a thin layer of the honey to a clean face. I even apply it to my lips (softens them and it tastes yummy!). I then let the honey sit on my face for about ten minutes or so before I wash it off. It leaves your face feeling as smooth as a baby's bottom.

3. Sugar
Sugar is a really good alternative to use as a facial or body scrub. Just mix it with a little water (you can even mix it with olive oil if you want the added moisture) and start scrubbing your face or body (or go crazy and do both!) with the mixture. This is a cheap and easy way to exfoliate.

These are just a few home remedies that I've found to be beneficial for me. As with any beauty product, use with caution. Everyone's skin is different and what works for me might not work for you and vice-versa. Please comment below with all your beauty remedies. No matter how quirky they might be, I'd really like to hear them. :)

Peace, Love, and Olive Oil,
JSho

No comments:

Post a Comment